Saturday, March 27, 2010

Students’ Reactions in Convocation Ceremony

Convocation Ceremony: A Memorable Experience
Dr. Sunanda More (Ph.D): Within the first three to four years of joining the Yashwantrao Chavan Open University, I had started feeling the urge to take higher education in my subject. But it was not possible to attend a full time course due to some personal responsibilities. So I completed my M. Sc from my university whose motto was ‘Dnyanganga Gharoghari’.

My research had found direction and on 20th January my name was announced for getting a doctorate. The doctorate was awarded to me by the vice chancellor, Dr. Sudhir Gavhane and management committee member, Dr. Narendra Jadhav. I can never forget this day. I was proud to be working in the Open University and was also a student of the same university who strives to make education possible for even the most neglected members of the society. It was an important feeling to be a responsible professor on one hand and a student on the other.

When I was accepting this degree, I remembered my whole academic life after standard 12th. After 12th standard, I had to earn to study for my engineering. I had to also provide for the education of my younger siblings. But I also remembered the help, guidance and encouragement given to me by so many people and felt a great sense of gratitude towards them.

Today more than 20 countries follow open and distance learning pattern. Since this is a new method, there is a vast scope for improvement and research. There is also a need for good analysts and researchers. An in-depth study and analysis of this method will improve the standard of this method. With this in mind, I selected the area and scope of my research.

The standard of distance learning is dependent on academic counsellor and counselling. So I selected my topic with these two aspects. Today e-learning is an important tool of learning. So if virtual classroom modules (VCMs) are employed as the tools of e-learning, how will it help in the teaching of electronic engineering and how and to what extent does it affect the teaching-learning process? How does it affect the understanding, knowledge, liking of the subject and time spent, of the students? Do the counsellors feel the need for this tool? How does it differ from the conventional method of teaching and what is the progress of the students? To analyse all these factors, training material was created for the trainers. They were trained on distance learning, how to impart it, the role of the guide and his skills through the medium of CD ROM. Then they were divided into two groups and trained on how to teach with the aid of VCMs and on conducting contact sessions on basic electronics with the help of CD ROM.

The remaining counsellors were trained on the conventional method of teaching and how to teach basic electronics through group sessions with the aid of CD ROM. I feel that this doctorate will benefit my department, the counsellors and the students of distance learning and the whole system of distance learning as a whole. I feel that if devices like VCMs are used for e-learning, it will benefit the students.


Dr. Sunanda More is an Assistant Professor in Department of Science, Technology & Architecture of the YCM Open University.
......................................................................................

Swati Puri (Ph.D): I did my research on a practical based subject like microbiology from the Open University. During my research I got a lot of support from the University. The staff was alert about giving me whatever information I needed. I also got an opportunity to attend ‘Avishkaar festival’ through the University. It gave me great pleasure to be a part of such activities while I completed my research.
..................................................................................

Kiran Uttamrao wakchaure (M. Phil) : The Open University has not given us only degrees. I am a teacher in a school. I was able to apply my research knowledge and techniques to teaching in the school. This in turn was helping my research. The Open University has helped people like us who are employed and still wish to improve our qualifications. Had we not got this opportunity, I would not have been able to study further. The working of the University is very well planned. We were always notified about any changes on the telephone even before the letters reached us. I am proud to be a research student of this University.
....................................................................................

Vyankatrao Mane (M.D): One is always apprehensive about visiting the head office of the university. The office and other staff members in a university office are not always co-operative. But when I go to the Open University office, there is no doubt about the work getting done. The staff works in a very planned and disciplined manner and help us if there is any problem. This gives a sense of belonging to the University. The staff is very alert about ensuring that the time of none of the students is wasted.
......................................................................................


Convocation Ceremony


In the 16th convocation ceremony of the Yashwantrao Chavan Mukta Vidyapeeth was attended by, the vice-chancellor of Uttaranchal Open University, Dr. Vinaykumar Pathak and Dr. Sudhir Gavhane from YCMOU, Registrar Shri. Prakash Vani, members of the management committee, planning commission and education department. In the convocation ceremony, 17,182 diplomas, 29,107 degrees, 5218 postgraduate degrees and 45 research degrees were awarded to the deserving candidates. 40 prisoners were also awarded degrees by the university this year. Shirish Khot from Thane central jail received the highest marks and was awarded the silver trophy, which is given every year to the student getting the highest marks. A handicapped student from Kolhapur, Sandeep Kalekar was felicitated as he also passed the MPSC exam along with getting the university degree.
......................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment